Friday, March 26, 2010

Liar Liar, Pants on Fire

So, this morning (more like noon) when I woke, I was reading my Proverb for the day and came across this verse.  I'm sure I've read it a million times before, but it totally took me off gaurd this morning!
Proverbs 26:28 "A lying tongue hates those who are crushed by it, And a flattering mouth works ruins."[NKJV]
The Message puts it this way: "Liars hate their victims, flatterers sabatoge trust."
Whoaaaaa.  This is saying that when we lie, we must hate the person we're telling that lie to and that we're breaking any trust we have with them and them with us!
Intense...


Think about it, how often do you lie?  I asked myself this question.
Whether it be lying to cover something up, to protect someone or something, to make something sound more interesting, out of forgetfulness, or out of ignorance of what really happened: it's still a lie.
I've told lies before; no doubt, I've made mistakes.  But, those people I lied to: I didn't hate them, or at least I didn't feel like I did.  BUT - the Bible says that if I lied to them, I must have hated them.  Let's look into this.
Matthew 6:24 says "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other."
Jesus says there's love and there's hate; there's no in between with God.  There are only the two extremes. Revelations 3:16 reiterates this point: God will only recognize hot or cold, anything lukewarm or inbetween makes Him want to vomit.
So, when we lie, we may not think we hate the person we're lying to, but we sure aren't showing them any love!  If we truly love and truste that person why would we be lying to them, even if it it's just to make something seem cooler than it really is?  That's stupid, and I can say that because I've done it, it's stupid...plain and simple.
1 Corinthians 13:6 says that Love "does not rejoice at injustice and unrighteousness, but rejoices when right and truth prevail."
Love is truth.  Love is trust.  Which means Hate is dishonesty.  Hate is distrust and doubt!
So, when we lie to someone, we must hate them, even if we don't think we do.  If we aren't lovin' on them, we're hatin' on them.  God's right, but what else is new.  No wonder God tells us not to be liars. Be careful with your words, I know I will be now!

I know this isn't the happiest of topics, but it was a real eye opener for me.
Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment