Saturday, February 27, 2010

Consistency

So a few of weeks ago I was in our Student Leadership meeting for Youth and Pastor Kev asked me to prepare something about being consistent.  Right when he asked me that all these things started running through my mind, like "Consistent? I know what it means: like, continually productive.  But have I been consistent in my DEVOs or prayer life or Bible studies lately? No! Why is he asking me to do this? I'm not the right person for this."
Later when I got home and was meditating on it and realized that God wanted me to do this, not PK.  He was trying to get my attention.  All last year and last semester I would get up early and do these DEVOs and send them to 80+ people every day of the week.  But, when I got my iPhone I kinda fell out of it because I couldn't forward it to all those people in one text like I could with my BlackBerry.  I used that as my crutch.  So, I stopped doing these DEVOs, but still read the Word and teaching books.  But lately I had been falling in and out of being consistent in that even.  As I was thinking on these things I knew that I needed to repent.  I felt terrible the way I had been treating God.  I went from being so on fire to kinda just flickering here and there.
So, these are my notes on being Consistent and what I said at the next SL meeting we had:

What we believe we have to CONSISTENTLY portray.  Consistent means being marked by harmony, regularity, or steady continuity: free from variation or contridiction.
Romans 14:22-23 says "Cultivate your own relationship with God, but don't impose it on others. You're fortunate if your behavior and your belief are coherent. But if you're not sure, if you notice that you are acting in ways inconsistent with what you believe—some days trying to impose your opinions on others, other days just trying to please them—then you know that you're out of line. IF THE WAY YOU LIVE ISN'T CONSISTENT WITH WHAT YOU BELIEVE, THEN IT'S WRONG!"
How are we inconsistent some (or even all) of the time:
-We know it's good to pray and read our Bibles, but do we do it on a regular basis? John 1:8
-We believe in healing and know it's real, but we don't always speak it over ourselves: we speak sickness and disease over ourselves so often instead.
-We know we're supposed to love others as God loves them, but we gossip, bad mouth, and get attitudes with people all the time. Leviticus 19:18
-We know we're supposed to honor our parents, but we continually fight with them all the time.  Exodus 20:12
-We know our purpose is to be "Jesus" to those around us, living a true christian life, but do we live that life every day or even at least one day of the week? Luke 10:1-12

We're to be disciples for the Kingdom and it takes being able to heed instruction and correction, and spending time with those who are instructing and correcting us to be that disciple.
To be disciples we have to be disciplined.  To truly be disciplined, we have to be CONSISTENT!

As we learn to be consistent, through discipline and wisdom from God, we can't turn it into a habit.
A habit is a behavior pattern aquired by frequent repitition or physioligic exposure that shows itself in regularity or increaced facility of performance/and aquired mode that has become nearly or completely INVOLUNTARY.
We CANNOT make a habit of God!!!!!
What are some habits that the world knows:
-Smoking/drinking
-Cursing
-Biting your nails
-Procrastinating
-Twirling your hair or fidgeting
-Overeating
-Lying
-Interrupting people

Habits require NO thought or brain power or premeditation!
God deserves all of us, all of our attention.  Especially when we're obeying Him or spending time with Him.
Being consistent with something requires putting your heart and mind into it.  It takes determination.
So we have to be determined to be consistent and mindful of our God! We have to be consistent with our beliefs through our words and actions; NOT just when we're at church, but at school, work, and the mall/etc too. We should always be mindful of our gracious and magnificent God!

I hope this helps you. It really helped me.
I'm going to do my best to be more consistent, not only in my prayer life and Bible studies, but in doing these DEVOs. I hope they help someone because when I do them, they definitely help me.
God Bless.

2 comments:

Tess and Joe said...

im glad that you are a consistent girl, you are blessed and beautiful!

Mandy Deitering said...

:) love it!

Post a Comment